5.04.2011

The Secret Beast ! (review)

Just realized I have not done a toy review for some time... actually I have not put up a post for some time. :P hehe my bad, but anyway I want to get back into blogging mode with a really awesome post...


Fondly called the "Secret Beast or Fresh Beast"... the latest addition to my shelf, the Beast Brothers' SecretFresh exclusive custom 8" Calendario Dunny Azteca. There were only 2 ever made and sold, and thanks to the awesome guys at SecretFresh, I was able to score one of them!



The figures are hand made 8" customs of the Beast Brothers' "Calendario" dunny for Kidrobot's Dunny Azteca series II 3" collectibles.

The figure comes in its own museum style crate with laser etched cover panel. I really like the packaging because it stand out, is nicely executed, and the fact that it's another display piece in itself.

The front panel slides off to open the container, and inside the 'toy' is protected by bubble wrap, foam bits, and a plastic wrap...


... and there's the guy right there. Metallic Emerald green color theme, with red Swarovski Crystals.


This being the first real 'custom' that I have bought, I must say I am pretty proud of the purchase. Both figures were sold moments after Secret Fresh posted them on their blog for P27,000.00 each. I feel grateful Bigboy offered me first dibs to secure one, since the next buyer in line intended to buy both.


Here is the figure next to the original 3" version (sporting 2 crystals for eyes). There are minimal differences to the details on both interpretations. The icons on the head-dress, the body armor, and tongue, are given a more 3-dimensional feel on the 8" version, allowing them to stand out more. The face was given more of a proportion change, which I feel took away much detail instead of enhancing the look from the 3" dunny. Overall though the figure still appeals, somehow the reduced detail on the face enhances head-dress, and lets the character of the figure standout.


The back of the figures look pretty much the same. I like how the logo was 'raised' though, and of course that all-seeing eye really stands out, now that it's actually sculpted. It would have been cool if the red pupil were a large crystal though, but that probably would have been overkill. Overall I am happy with the treatment given to the back, just enough attention to see the artist's vision, and not so much as to draw attention away from that awesome front.


I'd like to review this view for two reasons. First the obvious logo that the artists placed at the bottom of the figure, and secondly the fact that it is embossed on leatherette booties. Yes the figure has booties! I like how the leatherette (or some similar material perhaps?) was used to pull-off the footwear and skirt. I find it really gives just that much more character to the piece.

Now for a little ugly, unfortunately. My figure has some damages on it, in fact I was informed of the paint chip before I came over to pick up the figure. I only latter found the gap at the back of the Head-dress, after I opened it to admire at home.

there is a gap where the head-dress and 'head' meet

paint splatter (black) and paint chipped (white)

Whilst certainly these were disappointing to find on the figure, I am really happy to have been informed that the artists are coming to manila later in the year, and have offered to do the touch up themselves. The repairs are really minor (they could simply send the paint and I could do the touch up at home really), and I am honestly more thrilled to learn that there might be a chance to meet them in person, but it really feels good to know artists who give personal attention to their creations even after having sold them.

Thanks for reading and hope it was enjoyable.

-alger

No comments: