8.02.2011

My Tron Attempt... First Custom Munny

I Glow...

I have had this design in my head for some time now. Ever since the concepts for the recent Tron remake came out, I've been doodling on different toy formats but eventually settled on the GID Munny... umm because I thought it would be cool if the figure glowed. :D

Went out to Secret Fresh and grabbed a GID mini Munny and went about my first attempt at a custom...



I actually drew on a blank outline sticker from an earlier purchase (that has been sitting in storage for too long) which came in handy.




Being someone used to painting tabletop minis, I couldn't imagine painting on a toy without priming first with a spray can. (yes I admit I was just being lazy... should have just masked and sprayed) I searched the net and asked around and eventually decided to try markers :D.

For this figure I used Sharpies, Schnieders, and the free one that came with the munny. I started off with pencil for the outlines, and traced them with the finest Sharpy I could find. I then filled the colors in with the broader pens. The process was rather tedious as being the lazy person that I am (see above), I didn't bother masking the areas that I intended to leave bare for the glowing effect. This meant that I wasted lots of time and straining my eyes, outlining the design with the markers and going over areas with sand paper and wipes again and again.

Eventually I finished the head...


Looking at the initial sketch, I had actually intended the suit's lines to be the only source of glow on the figure, but after seeing the head in the dark I felt this did produce my desired effect. I decided to try sanding the purple marker down to the point where the glow would still show without completely erasing the color. (yes it ended up pink... ) I was actually pleased with how it turned out, though I couldn't get that smooth and even finish that I wanted.



Finished the head after an evening's worth of effort XD
Moving on, I applied to coats for the Black areas, and one really thick coat of purple for sanding after leaving it on overnight. I am not sure, but i found the color stuck better when left overnight and didn't come off completely with the sandpaper.

Front view
... and the back side
Doing the body and arms was faster at least. Having familiarized with the techniques I was better able to proceed in stages, applying the black last to allow easier handling while sanding the pink on the toy for instance. I finished off with red outlines on the borders of the pink area for when the munny is not in the dark, as this better defines the design.

and now of course here is the little guy in all his glowing glory... sorry for the crappy pic I am not really sure how to shoot in the dark. XD


I hope this was an enjoyable read and I would like to leave this post with a shot of my next project :D


-alger

No comments: