2.10.2011

Filling Up Blanks

Part of the fun of moving into a new house, well at least in my opinion, are the new cabinets and shelves waiting to be filled with stuff. It doesn't really matter if said stuff are new or old really, I simply find filling up the empty spaces to be a joy.

For this new house though, it was even more exciting because we had a say from the ground up. Besides the basic layout and feel for my room, what I had specifically wanted from the beginning were book shelves and display cases with frameless glass doors. I wanted somewhere for my collections to be seen, so that I could finally take them out of their boxes and put them where visitors can enjoy them as much as I do.




The first picture is of the main cabinet. As can be seen in the pics, it has those display spaces I wanted, as well as lots of other compartments for other stuff. From top to bottom just a quick rundown, those are novels, some Mighty Muggs, 1:6 toys, Vinyl Collectibles and of course Board-games.  The centerpiece of this set up is really Box Boy by Christian Tamondong, everyone I have brought to see this cabinet draws their attention to it sitting there in the center shelve. It's an awesome art/toy that was designed and produced locally. I got it from my girlfriend (thanks hon :D) as a Christmas gift, it's numbered 39 of a limited run of 40 pieces. Signed and doodled by the artist... I should really write a review of it one of these days :P.



Now on to the right half. It houses my paperback novels. At the moment I am reading Scott Lynch, and Joe Abercrombie mostly. Right below the books are the Dunnys with Luke Chueh's Blood and Fuzz right in the middle. There are also Baby Sharky Twins and O-no-Sushi in the display cabinet. This is the cute side of the whole set up I guess, and I feel brightens up my day every time I look over it.



The left half Houses my most recent addiction... I mean Hobby. 1:6 scale action figures. These are Hot Toys and ThreeA figs. I have a few more coming in :P... I'll probably blogg more about these when they arrive.


Right above the action figures are my Tolkien books. I'm a fan, and really enjoy reading and rereading his works, even beyond the Lord of the Rings. The other hard bounds there are Lovecraft and R.A. Salvatore books.

Now to wrap up this post, I want to show the "other" cabinet in the room. I have yet to fill it up properly really but for now I'm happy to have taken out the Akira Bike from storage, the one on the upper left section. Ill fix this one more before actually blogging more about it.


That's all for now I guess. Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed.



-alger

2 comments:

D.D. said...

nice work, uncle Alger. can't believe you have your feminine side :D

Michael said...

I remember that you had way more puppets/figurines/toys back in S'pore =P
What happened to them? Or still looking for the right place:)