11.11.2009

My Mighty Muggs Craze



A few months back, my girlfriend Kat and I started collecting Mighty Muggs. They are vinyl collectible toys released by Hasbro, featuring characters from the Transformers, G.I. Joe, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Marvel franchises. They are rendered onto a common frame/mold that lends the characters a rather cute super deformed look. We currently use the official website and mugglab to to get more info on the characters available.


The collection started with an offhand comment I made about wanting 15 kids someday. That, plus the fact that my  is virtually drawn to round cute stuff all the time, made Mighty Muggs an obvious purchase for us.


Our first Mighty Mugg was Transformers' Optimus Prime SDCC exclusive (though we got it at Toy Kingdom here in the Philippines... I'm not sure how they define "exclusive" but it works for me). From there we started hunting down both the Decepticon and Autobot Characters.

We had trouble finding Megatron and Soundwave, and a friend advised us to go to Greenhills, along Ortigas Avenue. We found there are a number of shops on the third floor of the Shoppesville section selling collectible toys. Our favorite is GreatToysOnline.com, which offered the most selections of Mighty Muggs for us. Not only did we end up with Soundwave and Megatron, but we also bought some Marvel and G.I. Joe Muggs as well. So far our purchases from them were all in good condition, both the figures and their colorful boxes.

A curious condition Kat set for our collection is for them to be all displayed in my room. I definitely am not going to complain. Of course, just so I don't hoard all the fun, I gave her a few of them to keep her company at home.


I initially displayed all our 'kids' on my computer table shelf. Needless to say, the collection outgrew this small space (and my 15 child goal), so now most of these guys are back in their boxes now. Kat and I have talked about planning a nice display for them in our new house next year. Another reason why keeping them inside their boxes is good idea for now.

I keep them on a shelf, trying my best to showcase the beautifully designed boxes. It helped that that the particular shelf I'm using is sized just right. Unfortunately now with over 30 of them I have had to do 2 layers on that shelf, so yeah there are a number that don't get as much face time...


I have taken more photos of our collection during my bored weekends and I have them up on my Flickr page. Feel free to look through them. I'll probably write more about these guys at some latter point but for now I just wanted to share how the addiction started and how we have been fueling it.


Till my next post (which will probably be late once again) thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed :)

-alger

No comments: